Monday, December 8, 2014

Review: Where Things Come Back, by John Corey Whaley | a.k.a. A QUARTER ONLY OF INTELLIGENCE


12162432Where Things Come Back,
by John Corey Whaley,
228 pages.

Read vis PulseIt.com.

In the remarkable, bizarre, and heart-wrenching summer before Cullen Witter's senior year of high school, he is forced to examine everything he thinks he understands about his small and painfully dull Arkansas town. His cousin overdoses; his town becomes absurdly obsessed with the alleged reappearance of an extinct woodpecker; and most troubling of all, his sensitive, gifted fifteen-year-old brother, Gabriel, suddenly and inexplicably disappears.
     Meanwhile, the crisis of faith spawned by a young missionary's disillusion in Africa prompts a frantic search for meaning that has far-reaching consequences. As distant as the two stories initially seem, they are woven together through masterful plotting and merge in a surprising and harrowing climax.
This extraordinary tale from a rare literary voice finds wonder in the ordinary and illuminates the hope of second chances.



What can I say?
I want truth to be told, that's why I am confessing that it's actually a 3.5, not 4 fours rating.

The thing is that recently my mind goes thirty billions different directions while reading. That's why I cannot really focus on what I am reading.

Well, I kind of understood and got the idea of this book. The last 25% were catchy and capturing. The first 75% did not really got me, but suddenly I understood all of the book by reading the last quarter. I can say this is an accomplishment.

The two different point of views didn't kill me like they usually do. I am really happy about that.

Now, why did I like this?
It just made sense within a quarter. That sense was really good and I liked it. And I know that liking a book is just as much of a shout into the void as love, but I really and unexplicably liked this book. I liked the book within that quarter that I was really focused in. And I am not trying to get philosophical and melodramatic, but I did.

And you cannot take this away from me.
The epicness of liking what you read is something so special.
And you cannot take this away from me.
Ever.
Never.
Ever!

On the other hand, this short read made my day, that's why I feel so empowered now. I am kind of understanding the whole thing about the evangelical and heavenly feeling left in the soul after a good book.

And you cannot take this too away.
I said it and I am going to repeat it over and over again.
And you cannot take this too away.
Ever.
Never.
Ever!

I am so fired up after this read. Reading is just like a drug. I cannot figure out why I feel so protective and caring and loving of a book of 3.5 stars only. But I love feeling, being and doing so.
And you aren't going to take...
I'm cutting the shit now, kids!

One way or another, thanks sweet-three-names-author for this book, though I couldn't rate it more than 3.5 stars. Why am I reapeating that? 3.5; 3.5; 3.5.


So, this is my review of Where Things Come Back. This book is rather underrated, but after this hell of a review, I will have the pleasure to RECOMMEND IT TO YOU!!! Leave me a comment telling me if you've got it on your To-Read shelf now!