Thursday, December 11, 2014

Review: We Were Liars, by E. Lockhart | Reviewed LIElessly


18339662

We Were Liars,
by E. Lockhart.
227 pages.

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.


We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 
Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE!


REVIEW:

We Were Liars' is like nothing I've expected. I'm totally not into it and I cannot wait to finish it because I feel I may wasting my time here. I can't connect with Cady at all! - 33% read


Everything that I've thought about this book is unreal now. I feel completely unconnected with the narrator, that in spite of the potential this story actually has. - 50% read

A big part of the book was a disappointment. Yes, I couldn't connect with the narrator in three quarters of the book. Yes, everything was odd and I couldn't understand what was really happening. Yes, I feel like I wasted the nearly 10$ I spent to buy the book, while expecting something good out of it. But it was strange.

'We Were Liars' is the oddest thing I've ever seen. While reading, the impression over it wasn't awesome. But the ending nailed it. It killed it. It was unbelievable. And it's undeniable that it caught my eye and made me love the whole thing that happened there that second, right before the end.

That is very strange, but it worked. I gave it three stars, because that's why rating and my way of saying 'it was okay', which is a cover-title for my real thoughts... 'I'm struggling to think if I loved it or absolutely hated it and it's freaking hard to decide!'

Whatever, I just feel I'm losing my mind. The final impression, the ending, everything in the last thirty pages are rated with double the stars, but the first three quarters which I don't care if they were hallucinations or ghosts, just weren't my thing.

I love crazy, nuts or damaged narrators because I can compare them to myself, because I am one hell of a damaged person too, but I just don't know right now what I am feeling about Cadence Sinclar Eastman. I can't stand spoiled kids, but this damn of a damaged, half-crazy, sick spoiled kid from this weird Sinclair family that cares more about their last name than their own children is good.

This struggle and fight with myself is painful. I just cant' stand this book. It took everything away from me. It is good. 'We Were Liars' is surely a rare piece of cake and I gave it 3.5 stars because it is a painful book.

And I solemnly swear I didn't lie in this whole review... I mean... I wrote over 2.1k words in this stupid battle with myself.... ???
 

Another hype-monster! Leave a comment telling me whether you share or not my opinion!!