Friday, December 5, 2014

Review: The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay


16117442The Sea of Tranquility;
by Katja Millay;
464 pages;

I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

Full of rage and without a purpose, former pianist Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone discovering her past and to make the boy who took everything from her pay.

All 17 year-old Josh Bennett wants is to build furniture and be left alone, and everyone allows it because it’s easier to pretend he doesn’t exist. When your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, a hot mess of a girl who starts showing up and won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. The more he gets to know her, the more of a mystery she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he may ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a slow-building, character-driven romance about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.




REVIEW:

This book is unbelievable.
It's beautiful and thrilling and touching, but somehow typical. 
At 17.0%, I said "I am already so loving it. Nastya is a good character that feel so much like me, though 'I haven't died'." 
At 39.0%, I said "it started outstandingly, but as the book goes on, (it may be only me, though) I think it's becoming quite typical, predictable and less outstanding, but still awesome."
At 55.0%, I said "it's going on. Typical or not. Predictable or not. It's good and I'm loving it quite a lot."

The thing is that I said it was typical and somehow predictable, because I figured out a few things even before. I knew that when they get together, something will screw their relationship completely; I knew from the first scene with Tierney and Drew, that by the end, it will be known how great and big is their desire to rip each other's clothes off. That was nice to figure out, but still...

This book is almost like all the books. All good books have a certain thing. It works the reader out psychologically. I do that to when I'm writing my books. And that technique is quite hard to use when you're not very talented, so I guess Katja Millay is a proved great author. That thing is: the first 5 chapters are the best the reader ever read, the first impression is awesome and psychologically written into the reader's mind, so that he won't look weird if any other part of the book is odd or bad. And the ending is supposed to be good enough.

So, the plot was like a TV show. Always can be more or less there. I liked it because I'm also a TV addict. If you want to know, the TV series I love the most are Reign, The 100, Downton Abbey, House M.D. (it'll live forever) and lots of animes and korean dramas.. So, the plot was nice. I mean, with or without the complication of the break-up at 90% could have been there or couldn't have been not; eventually it would have ended the same way.

I was so eager to find out what happened to Emilia so she had to turn her life upside down. The conclusion and the story itself weren't really awesome things. I mean, the whole book, it prepares you, like 'when I'm going to kill the one that killed me with my left hand', it sounded like the hell happened, not just a guy who beat the crap out of her. It was odd. And it was epic the fact that Nastya didn't tell anyone what happened, we got to know only when she heard the Haydn song and the light turned on!

Anyway, Nastya/Emilia/Sunshine, as a character, was good. I understood her, even though I bet Katja Millay tried to make her as complicated as she could. The thing is that I understand the fact that when you have only one unbroken thing left, you should break it, so that you will stop having anything to care about. As anyone who read The Sea of Tranquility will absolutely know and some other people, this is not a good thing, but whatever. The thing is that I was really happy that Nastya eventually choose the right thing, example: not sleeping with Kevin Leonard.

Josh is a great character. I love the DAMAGED-GUYS type of guys, so I guess I fell in love with the character instantly. He may have not been the most amazing man on Earth, but still he's a great (damaged) guy that can't be ignored. Let's not mention the fact that he's super hot anymore!!!

Drew is most probably my favorite character. Liking Drew is a guilty pleasure and I can't say no to it. He's awesome. He's the popular guy that did mistakes and that's why he lost who he loved, and he also can't make it out of his mess even though he realizes that he's not so much of an asshole as he lets everybody around him (except for Nastya and Josh, who know Drew better than his own family). It's a guilty pleasure liking this guy that tries to stand tall in how dusty and dark mess.

Tierney was a character I didn't like at first. It was Nastya's point of view and when it was described that Tierney looked at Nastya like she poisoned her grandma, it just didn't look like I'd have any chances to like Tierney. As her and Drew's storyline developed, however, I fell in love with this heartbroken girl that wants to show the stupid ex-boyfriend (Drew) that he lost the greatest girl in the world, when he lost her. That's one of the greatest things that could have been put in this hell of TV-like book!

It's going to take me a lot of time and words (I've got around 15k left only!) if I start to tell you everything about each character. I can now only say that there was no character I really disliked except from Kevin Leonard, who seemed the hell of a dude that had no toys when he was a kid. I even liked the guy who did that to Emilia. I think I am quite good at liking, but I just couldn't like the crap out of Kevin Leonard. On the other hand, Margot, the Leightons, Leigh, the Wards, Clay, and all were all good.

I'm going to say it again. Katja Millay proved herself as one of the most talented Contemporany, Romance, New Adult authors of this generation. I do not know how much she'll write from now on, but I don't think it will be a problem for her to be known even better around the world, because, I'm telling you, this was typically awesome and typically intense and typically really good. 

So, this was my review of The Sea of Tranquility? Have you read the book? Do you like it? Let me know in your comments down below!!