Friday, December 5, 2014

Let's Talk Editing (via Beautiful Books) | I know I am a Cait-loving person


I swear that in real life I am not that Cait-addicted (she awesome, though!! DUH!!) as I look. But considering I HAVE WRITTEN BY FIRST BOOK during this year's NaNoWriMo, I am forced by fate to do this thingy too. Cait simply is one hell of a great blogger, which makes link-up things for writers like the one whose words you are reading now!

Beautiful Books is a three-month-long blog event linkup focused on three different stages of writing: plotting, writing, and editing. It was designed with NaNoWriMo in mind. NaNoWriMo is a writing event where you write a 50,000 word novel in a month. Because a lot of writers will be participating, we decided to help get your juices flowing! We’ll be focusing on plotting in October, writing in November, and editing in December. See how organised we are? Super cool.

So, let's see what's the thing for today! Let's Talk Editing! This is hellish! It is the first time I'm put in this situation. This is the truth: I've got no idea how to edit my book. I am in love with it. I can't change it because I might end up starting to unfall in love... Oh GOSH!!!


1. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) how well do you think this book turned out?
I'd give it an 8. I know I said that I am in love with it and I find it perfect, but I also know it isn't in fact perfect. Perfection isn't something achievable, after all. Thus, I think that if I work it out and edit it a bit, it might end up as a 9.5. I'm not good enough to reach a 10. Cait is! I know I sound so dumb.

2. Have you ever rewritten or editing one of your books before? If so, what do you do to prepare yourself? If not, what’s your plan?
I haven't rewritten or edited any book up until now. This is my first book and I cannot wait to polish and make it sparkle, but I've got no idea how am I supposed to do it. What's my plan? Paint my nails and hope from a cow to fall from the sky and tell me what to do!! Something makes me think that won't happen! Man, I've got to work this out too!

3. What’s your final wordcount? Do you plan to lengthen or trim your book?

My final wordcount is 53.190 words, with Acknowledgements and Dedication and Copyright and stuff... I've already structured how a paperback should look like. But without all that... it is 47. 830. Yeah, I know I haven't reached 50k only with the story, but I've written everything the book was supposed to have. The plot is there and finished. I've got an introduction, an intrigue, the big action of the story, the most tensioned moment (THERE ARE SEVERAL!!) and an aftermath... It would have been useless to add random words just to make up the 50k goal.
And I plan to lengthen it a bit. I might add some more chapters, like a flash-backs to when the world for my character was only strawberries and cakes. I'm trying to build up a world. One way or another, I want to end up at about 65k-70k. I'll do that somehow!!

4. What’s are you most proud of? Plot, characters, or pacing?

I do not know how to say it: BUT I FEEL HAPPY WITH EVERYTHING! I certainly am not a make-believe fantasies and love stories lover. My book is pessimistic about world. IT IS CALLED THE SHAMELESS WORLD, after all.

But I've worked out a pretty decent plot that I find interesting. I gave my book to a friend to read it... I really need her opinion! And after that I will know for sure if I am not just a wannabe, and if I am capable of doing it and going on with this big dream o' mine.

The main character is so much like me. That's what I think! Nicole is young, but already knows that the world isn't just honey-and-sugar-and-cake. She's going through so much and out of the purest intentions, everything ends messed up. She thinks that she's pessimistic and bad and an ant and an ugly duck, although many of her actions prove what the people around the say: THE OTHERWISE!! Now, seriously, I am an ugly duck, no matter what mom or Coffee or grandma or anybody else says!!
And the pacing... I have got no idea... I mean, I've tried to make it dynamic and fun to read, but there were times it was imperative to stop and explain all feelings. It is a combination between fast-pacing and slow-pacing in a weird chemistry that might work for some and mightn't work for others.

5. What’s your favourite bit of prose or line from this novel?
Give me billions of hours to find it.... The thing is that I've tried to see things in their depths. They are actions and actions and actions in this book, but every single move is explained. I know from the real world that nothing is random and this is an aspect that I wanted my book to have too.

Oh, there you are, little favorite line!! It is the ending sentence. Right now, looking at it over and over again, I think that this may sum up my whole life... so, TADAAHH!!! This is my favorite line: 'Lately, I’ve only got nightmares; how about changing that, fate?'

I love it!

6. What aspect of your book needs the most work?

I think that the story itself. I had a nice 30 chapters plotline after which I've written my book. But connecting some chapter and disconnecting others, I've ended up 21 chapters, which are good, I suppose. I cannot work after a plotline because my head keeps believing that if I add a certain thing there, everything will change in better... After sometime, I regret that!
I know my story isn't the best ever, but I find it meaningful and if I am polishing it a bit, it will end up hellishly good!!

7. What aspect of your book is your favourite?
I might have already said: the depth! It is crazy and it is full of sarcasm. But within the pretty way things are being said, there's a certain depth in every single thing. In real life, I am kind of crazy. I start laughing sometimes for no reason. I dance around the house for no reason. And I've got the best face-expressions you'll ever see. I am mad myself and that's how I'm working out a mad book and a mad world. This mad thing is maddening sometimes. But for some it might be just crazily good, while for others it might be sickening.

8. How are your characters? Well-rounded, or do they still need to be fleshed-out?

They are far from perfect. That's how I wanted them to be. I love books and stories (and even fanfiction) that gets as close as possible to the inspiration. In my book's case, the main inspiration is the real world. It is a Dystopian that isn't much changed. Just drug our current society and you've got mine.

The way they are made: imperfect, opens the gate for me to make them shine in different situations. A human may be crappy at something, but work something else out fantastically. That's one thing that I really want to show. Nicole is one person, an ant in her big world. (I've got a special thing for ants!) She is crappy in society, but is brave enough to rebel against how the society is. She is pretty much of an anti-hero, 'cause she hardly wants to be a heroine, but she'd do anything for her family and friends.

Family and friends are an important theme of the book. They are my heroine's motivation to do everything. She's fighting for them, not for the fact that she's supposed to. Nicole could run without caring about anything, but if her family or her friends are in danger, she'd go to hell for them!

9. If you had to do it over again, what would you change about the whole process?

I'd just start on November 1st and not November 4th. But except from that, I don't think I'd change anything.

10. Did anything happen in your book that completely surprised you? Have any scenes or characters turned out differently to what you planned? Good or bad?

Yes, at first I did not feel my heroine had a voice. But as it kept going on, I heard her saying such things. I can't believe I've written that! And a scene... well, I couldn't believe it when I ended up writing that a certain character is thought to have killed its own mother!!!

11. What was the theme and message? Do you think it came across? If not, is there anything you could do to bring it out more?

I think I wanted to write a meaningful message from the beginning. Of course, I did not aim a Nobel Prize level or anything like that... I wanted to show people the difference between drugs and they can do to humanity: IT CRUSHES IT!

I've never done drugs and I never will, but those that are currently doing... they're worthy of pity! Nicole says she hates pity! I do that too. I do not like being pitied or pitying, but those that are losing their minds for nothing. It isn't worth it!

Another thing that I want to brainwash people with is... the worth of human life. Many die. Many live. In my book and in real life. Live at your fullest. Don't pull off to tomorrow what you can do today. YOLO!! Blah blah!! You get the idea!

Yes, I'm pretty much into motivational thing!! (Dad died when I was eight. It made me keep how little time we are given to live. That's how I know I want to live just as much as I can. And I'm trying to encourage people to do the same.)

12. Do you like writing with a deadline (like NaNoWriMo) or do you prefer to write-as-it-comes?

NaNoWriMo motivated me this year. I'm going to stick with deadlines from now on, I suppose.

13. Comparative title time! What published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (EX: Inkheart meets X-Men, etc.)

I have got no idea. Maybe 'Real-Life meets Overdoses'! But if you want books, movies or TV shows... it will end up like... 'Divergent meets Red Band Society' or 'Divergent, Delirium and Alice in Wonderland (the movie) form up a new Red Band Society'. This is how I see it. It's about sick people, ill with addictions to certain drugs. And it is mad, just like the Hatter. I'll need to add one in Book Two.

14. How do you celebrate a finished novel?!

I SCREAMM!!!!! Then scream to my family that I've finished a novel. Then I scream this to my diary Then I tweet it. Then I give the novel to my best-friend for the first review!! In the end, I SCREAMM AGAIN!!!

15. When people are done reading your book, what feeling do you want them to come away with?


For all the reasons in the world, my book is a celebration of different things. But, honestly, I've got no idea what feeling I'm getting myself after this books. People can understand what they understand. I am only responsible for what I am saying, not for what people understand. I only want people to celebrate the fact that they are alive. (Some people want to live more, but life isn't written like that!)

THAT WAS IT!

Now, this was the LET'S TALK EDITING thing! Remember to visit Paper Fury, where Cait is writing now. She's written a book for NaNoWriMo and I can't wait to hear more about. Leave a comment telling me if you've done so too, and if you did, why shouldn't you answer those fifteen questions too!!

Have a fantastic day, guys!